Have you ever found yourself in the waiting room of a doctor’s office surrounded by plain, white walls? We instantly notice when a room lacks art because the space instantly feels cold and unfriendly. Wall art has the unique ability to comfort, calm, uplift and energize – and nowhere is that power more noticeable than in healthcare facilities.
Healthcare art is used in more than just hospitals and doctor’s offices. You’ll encounter it in:
- Physiotherapy and sports massage clinics for athletes
- Housing for out-of-town hospital patients and their families
- Nutrition centers
- Extended care facilities for seniors
- Counselling clinics
Tips for Selecting Healthcare Art
NEW DAYThese images use calming blues and greens, as well as neutral colors
FORTUNE FOOLThese images use calming blues and greens, as well as neutral colors
PIQUANT IIThese images use calming blues and greens, as well as neutral colors
DIVERSITYExamples of uplifting and visually interesting images
OVER OUR HEADSExamples of uplifting and visually interesting images
SUNSHINE FLOWER IExamples of uplifting and visually interesting images
Wall art will reflect the tone and calibre of an institution, and should go hand-in-hand with the physical and emotional wellbeing of those who enjoy it. Consider the following:
- Blues and greens are known to be calming colors
- Bright colors communicate positivity, and are a favorite for children’s spaces
- Mellow abstracts and familiar landscapes are popular choices as they appeal to all audiences
- A large and visually interesting image can serve as a positive point of focus for patients, visitors and staff
- Canvas is a classic, high-quality choice of substrate which never goes out of style; it can be mounted to the wall with security hanging hardware, and involves no breakable glass.
Things to Avoid
When selecting art for healthcare settings, you’ll want to hold off on certain features, colors, and subjects. The following could be considered inappropriate:
- Extremely bold and/or controversial images
- Slashes and splatters
- Red; dark colors
- Images that look like vacation destinations
- Rainy scenes or drip effects may remind people of tears; tunnels of light, clouds, and wings are associated with heaven.
Fortunately, CAP & Winn Devon has an extensive collection of images which make excellent choices for healthcare settings! Browse our website, or contact your sales rep at 1-800-663-1166 for in-depth assistance with your healthcare décor projects.